Saturday, August 21, 2010

Black terns in the Tampa bay area.






Last week I saw my first black tern. I had read on Pinellasbirds.com that there were hundreds on the Gandy beach as well as some on the Courtney Campbell Causeway. I wasn't able to get there until a few days later. There were about 20 hanging around with other gulls and terns. I missed the big migration of hundreds but it was neat to see a few of them. Only a few were still all black in breeding colors (1st picture). The rest were now in non-breeding colors with a lot of white on the head and chest. Apparently they migrate through area. I've never seen them on the gulf beaches before. It's weird that they would pick an intown area to stop and rest.

1 comment:

  1. That first pic is so cute -- love their sand covered heads. I'm not too familiar with terns...very interesting. I think your informative posts will make me a better ornithologist!

    ReplyDelete