Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sundown on Gandy beach



Sandwich tern taking a bath.

How many different types of shorebirds are on this beach?



Skimmer doing what he does - skimming for food.


Industrial strength great blue heron.



Cormorant condos.

I stopped by Gandy beach on the way home one day last week. I left work late so I barely had any time before it got dark. There were still a handful of people there. The reason the skimmers in the above picture were flying over my head was because there were 2 guys there on 3 wheeler dirt bikes. They thought it was fun to drive up to the shoreline and scare the birds away. As I was headed for the end of the beach where most of the birds were, they flew past me and drove through the shorebirds trying to go to sleep. They knew I was not happy. How would they like it if I came to their house and drove a dirt bike through at 6am and woke them up?

Otherwise, it was a nice night out but clouds moved in just as the sun was going down so no sunset shots on this trip.

2 comments:

  1. Great shots! We don't have a Cormorant condo by us, it's just some duplexes on the light fixtures :D I have a photo of some skimmers (I think) that are laying down on the beach resting. Not sitting like on a nest, laying with their "chin" down on the sand, it looked so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun the first little guy looks like he's having!

    ReplyDelete