Friday, February 26, 2010

Big birds at Boyd Hill

Cormorant drying off.


Snowy egret braving the cold wind.


This lone white pelican was flying around. They are usually with large groups so I'm not sure where the rest of his friends where.


A tricolored heron and blue heron hang out together.




This turkey vulture was showing off.


I took a long walk around Boyd Hill Park in St. Petersburg this past Saturday. The day started off windy, a little cool and cloudy with a chance of rain. There didn't seem to be a lot of birds around. I ran into a couple from England who came over for a couple of weeks for vacation and they asked me where were all the birds. He had a camera with him and said they come every year at this time and in the past the parks have all been full of big water birds. He said they had not seen a lot of birds anywhere they had been since middle of January. I have been asking myself the same question. I'm assuming the much colder than usual temperatures has pushed them further south. I'm not sure if south Florida is seeing an influx of birds more than usual. Hopefully once the weather warms up a bit for a while the big birds will show up again.

1 comment:

  1. That snowy egret has my vote. What an outfit.

    ReplyDelete