Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Standing in place at Lake Seminole


I stopped along the trail to get a picture of this female anhinga drying off.




As I was standing there taking a picture of the anhinga, I noticed this great egret taking a break in the reeds right in front of me.

Then I noticed this juvenile blue heron (they stay white through the first 6 months) trying to hide close by.

Then a great blue heron flies by.


The kingfisher that I had been hearing cackling around the park flew by and landed high up in a tree close by where I was standing. By then it was starting to drizzle.



Saturday morning I decided to head out to a park before the rain moved in for the afternoon. I ended up at Lake Seminole Park. I walked around the dirt trail along the lake and was not seeing too many birds. After a full lap around the park I was discouraged. I decided to take one more lap down the dirt trail (I needed the exercise anyway.) On the way back to my car I stopped to take a picture of an anhinga drying off (I know, how boring). But she was doing such a nice little dance as she was drying off. As I was standing there watching her a series of events happened. I noticed a great egret in front of me trying to hide as well as a little blue heron that was still young enough to be white. After I snapped pictures of both of those a great blue heron flew by. And then I saw a kingfisher fly up into a tree not to far away. While I was taking pictures of the kingfisher it started to rain so I headed on to my car. After walking almost 3 miles I see all of those different birds standing for 10 minutes in one spot.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. You really caught a nice bunch of birds. Like hitting the jackpot for quarters or something. I like all of the pictures. Never saw a real kindfisher but have seen egrets -- aren't they once known as cattle birds? Anyway, thanks for the nice comment you left me about my little Sharp-shinned Hawk. He was back this morning and I spent an hour, at least, watching him learning how to hunt. I hope he gets better at it soon or he will be a thinner bird than he is now at less than 6 inches wide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that juvenile Great-Blue Herons were white. Crazy! Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete