Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Two cool birds at Kapok park


Tricolored heron coming in for a landing.


Tricolored herons sometimes act like reddish egrets. They seem to use their wings to shade the sun so they can see the fish better in the water. Or maybe he's just doing his eagle imitation.


Off he goes giving me a look as he flies by.


As I wandered around under the big trees, I looked up and saw this big thing staring at me.  I don't see many red tailed hawks. We get a lot of red shouldered hawks.


As I crept around the big tree, he was watching my every move. I wandered off down the path but kept my eye on him for a while. He never moved. It was starting to get dark so maybe that was his sleeping spot.

8 comments:

  1. How cool to see all these guys! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness! that first red-tail photo is amazing! his intelligent, watchful and intimidating look is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again Dina you demonstrate your superb skills collecting these awesome images. It is rare to see a straight on head shot that looks as great as your hawk capture. Congrats.
    BTW. Thank you for introducing me to Klaus Peter's incredible photography. A true master of the craft, may he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fantastic capture of a hawk! i have yet to get close enough for a shot that is not blurry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful shots! That RSH is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous Heron landing shot and that Red-tailed Hawk will probably give me nightmares for a weed. Such an intense looking bird!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos of the Red-tailed Hawk - perfect capture! The herons are beautiful too, although I am two minds about the degree to which sharpened the images.

    ReplyDelete