Sunday, September 6, 2009

Roosevelt Wetlands

Osprey flying high in the blue sky.


It's a good thing these birds aren't in a boat.

Limpkin in the grass at the Roosevelt Wetlands.


There's a great little lake in Pinellas Park called Roosevelt Wetlands. It's small and probably not very deep. There are houses around half the lake. It's amazing how much wildlife is there. Saturday morning I went there looking for the black bellied whistling ducks that have been living there for a while. I had read about it on Pinellasbirds.com. Of course I could not find the ducks. I did see an array of other birds; limpkins, great egrets, great blue herons, osprey, etc. I'll go back in a couple of weeks to look for the ducks.

On the way home I drove by the retention ponds that run along the Pinellas county waste plant. Lots of birds there as well.

Egret party - snowy and great.


Hawk sitting on a utility pole.







Roseate spoonbill wading through the trash.

1 comment:

  1. Great pix. I really like the juxtaposition of a beautiful bird such as the spoonbill with the trash in the background. Kinda sad.

    ReplyDelete