Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sandhill cranes at Circle B Bar Reserve





On my New Year's eve trip to Circle B, I found a few sandhill cranes out in an almost dry marsh. There seem to be 2 couples that had crossed paths. Normally, when I see them they are just gracefully grazing and ignore me if they see me. These sandhill cranes were strutting around and honking.  Maybe there was a territorial dispute or maybe they just didn't like each other. It's funny how the feathers on the back of the crane fluff up when they are strutting around. That's their "something's going on" strut. I've heard that one of the couples has now built a nest near the trail so I may have to head back to Circle B in the next couple of weeks. Last year, a couple had one baby that grew up there. I didn't see it until it was much older but it was still brown and fluffy.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful shots of a spectacular bird! I read this past week that Tennessee decided NOT to allow hunting of the crane for 2 years....and have to ask why anyone would want to shoot it in the first place? I ca't imagine they taste very good, and who wears feathers in their caps anymore?

    ReplyDelete