Thursday, February 3, 2011

Unusual backyard visitors - Skywatch Friday


Ring billed gull on our dock. We usually only get laughing gulls in our neighborhood.


Turkey vulture sitting on our dock.  This is the 2nd time I've seen one on our dock in 7 years.


The tide was so low the muck was showing on the sides of the channel. The turkey vulture found something to dig out.

Pelican on our neighbor's dock. We have never gotten pelicans in our channel. In the last week I've seen one hanging around.

Posing for me.


Eastern phoebe sitting on my fence. I've never seen one of these in our backyard.


These ibis aren't unusual. Actually, there's always a flock somewhere in the neighborhood. One night they were sitting on the lamp post down the street. I took this through the kitchen window.

Snowy egret sitting on my dock. I see these every once in a while in the channel.

Last weekend was a perfect weekend. I was in and out of the house all weekend but when I was in I was always looking out the windows for any visitors. We had several different ones this time. We don't usually get pelicans and eastern phoebes. It was a nice mix of birds. It was very windy and that might have been what brought in the new birds to our channel. I also saw 2 pair of hooded mergansers but they stayed down at the other end of the channel and I didn't even try to take a picture that far away.  Sunday before sunset I went out and snapped the above picture. It was nice outside but it got cold fast when the sun went down.

For more skyscape photography from around the world, visit http://skyley.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful skywatch shot, the colors are just lovely. You have some great birds in your yard and neighborhood. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love palm trees... and with animals in the same post, it all becomes perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sky and also the many wonderful birds that visit you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures. I wonder if birds are tired of the unseasonable cold a little further N of you and are visiting while they wait out Mother Nature's rath!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome photos...thanks for sharing!
    Check out my Skywatch Entry as well. Have followed your blog, hope you do the same. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your sky and also the many wonderful birds

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your bird photos, site, and mission.
    Thanks for following my blog. Returning the favor is an easy decision. Happy Birding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Palm trees and sunsets......can't be beaten

    ReplyDelete