Monday, May 2, 2011

Birds at Fort Desoto




More pelican fly by pictures above and below.





Great egret coming for a landing.


This cormorant was floating around the fishing pier. I took the picture from far away thinking it wouldn't turn into much. When I cropped it up I realized he had a hook in his mouth. I wish I could have seen that when I was there. I would have reported it to the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary. It may purge out eventually. Everyone thinks this is such a common bird but he does have beautiful colors on his face.

Just another day at the beach. I walked down to the fishing pier but it was a pretty quiet day except for a few pelicans and great egrets. It's fun to walk the pier and see the birds and dolphins but I hate seeing birds hooked. How can we reach them to help them when they are floating far away? If we get close in a boat will they just fly off? Sadly, I think they would have to be in pretty bad shape to let someone catch them. There are signs at the pier explaining to the fishermen to not cut the line. It shows them with pictures how to catch the birds with a net if they have one and pull the hook off. I've never seen anyone do that. Most of them just don't care. 

Go and check out more MyWorld images at the MyWorld Site!    My World.

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic close ups!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific pictures.
    That pelican doing the splits in the first picture.
    We have a similar problem here with anglers on the river Thames: the swans swallow the lead and get hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! I am watching this post together with my daughter and she is having a blast with the pictures of the birds! Amazing captures!


    I have Finally Spring in my World entry at my blog. Hope you can visit me as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning images of your beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. poor cormorant. i hope the hook will release.

    the pelicans and egret are beautiful shots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful captures despite a quiet day at the beach. But I hope the cormorant survives.

    ReplyDelete