Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Kayaking in the backyard


Royal tern preening and a caspian tern watching.


There's always laughing gulls around. 


I thought all of the wintering kingfishers were gone but this guy was hanging out in the mangroves. He was far away and wouldn't let me close in my kayak.


Two spoonbills fly overhead. All I saw was a flash of pink high in the sky.


There were lots of willets and marbled godwits on people's docks.


The usual osprey.

I finally got around to a kayaking trip in the channels in our neighborhood in mid April.  I always go out not expecting to see much but I am usually pleasantly surprised. As I was paddling out into the open bay in upper Tampa Bay, several dolphins went whizzing by me. I didn't get the chance to get my camera out. They went by and were gone so fast. There's always a lot of shorebirds, gulls and terns hanging around the docks of the houses that sit out on the open bay. A few docks have fake owls to keep the birds off but I think the birds know they are fake. I've seen osprey sitting on top of the fake owl before.

All of the above were taken with my old Fuji point and shoot camera. I haven't tried to take my new Nikon D7000 on the kayak. It's so much to pack and stick in my small kayak. I'd rather travel light when I'm paddling.

Check out more birds at CLICK THIS PICTURE!

19 comments:

  1. Great photos from your kayaking adventure! Love the Laughing Gull photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i'd be afraid of water damage on the good Nikon. :) of course, you're probably a good kayaker.

    love all your shots. the 'usual' osprey is so intriguing to those of us who don't get to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning images of your beautiful birds.
    Views from the water...a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a great place to kayak. I especially like the Godwit. It's a bit cold right now out here in SE Queensland, Australia, for any kayaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super series Dina from your floating platform. Not sure I'd want to put my DSLR anywhere near the water either!.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great series!! Look at that backpack I got which carries your rig assembled. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really beautiful photos! Especially the first one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see a photo of the Osprey sitting on the fake owl! Looks like you are getting close to some nice shorebirds, I'm really liking your shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Osprey picture. It is great if it is always around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool that you got your kayak out. What a way to go birding! To answer your question about whether or not my hunting friend was using lead shot...didn't ask! But that is a excellent point and I shall inquire.
    Congratulations on your 100th follower it is a well deserved acknowledgement of your consummate skills!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful series!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice set of pictures - just shows what you can get with a point and shoot! Helps if you get close to the birds as well - and I think the kayak helps with this.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great place to kayak. You saw some great birds on your outing. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone for the comments!

    Springman, I've been reading a lot lately about how lead bullets are getting into the environment and killing the wildlife. Many sanctuaries up north are reporting a lot of sick eagles coming in from lead poisoning from lead bullets. There are non-lead bullets out there but I think they are more expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. FLorida is just chock full of wildlife..such a special place--I enjoyed kayaking when I was there! LOVE the Pink in the sky shot and all the photos are very well done!!! and I read your Manatee post, sure hope it survives--so many dangers out there for our wildlife these days--quite sad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. those first two photos are particularly good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like kayaking is a great way to find birds. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great collection of images, I really like the shorebirds strolling on the docks! Birding by kayak sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete