Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Animals at Chesnut Park


This squirrel was taking a nap in the sun. He didn't move when I walked by but eventually he left when more people came by.


The only shot of a deer far off in the woods. I stood there for at least 15 minutes hoping they would wander closer to the boardwalk. Just as they were about to hit a clear spot in the woods a bunch of loud people came walking by and spooked the deer and off they went deeper in the woods.


I think this is a yellow rumped warbler.


Male cardinal sitting pretty. They love to pose.


Pileated woodpecker.

I try and get out fairly early in the morning. I hit Chesnut Park around 8:30 am. I know that's late by most birder standards but I need my sleep. It was a little cool out (cool for us Floridians anyway) and there really wasn't too many people out. I try and walk quietly so I can hear the birds calling. I don't know any of the tiny birds by sound but at least I know they are there and where to look for them. I know the bigger bird sounds such as red bellied woodpeckers, pileateds, hawks, cardinals and herons (I love the way great blue herons honk when they fly off). I hear some little peeps high in the trees and quietly wait for them to get close. Just as a raise my camera and try and get a shot, here come a bunch of loud walkers. The ones in the back want the ones in the front to hear what they are saying. Off flies the little birdies before I get a shot.  Later down the boardwalk it happens again only this time its a group of nordic walkers banging their walking sticks loudly on the boardwalk. Or better, someone walks by with their barking dog when there are large signs that say "No dogs on the boardwalk." I do love Chesnut Park. It has a lot of great wildlife for such a busy park. It's the only place close to my house where I can see deer and not get shot at. But it can really challange a photographer's patience.

6 comments:

  1. wow, these are great shots! LOVE the pileated shot! and GORGEOUS deer photo! you are so talented (and patient, and quiet)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots again Dina.
    Merry Christmas.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos! I really love the one of the Pileated Woodpecker. I hear them often around here but have yet to see one. Guess I don't get up early enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures, I love especially the woodpecker and cardinal. The latter I saw during a meeting in San Antonio this year, nice color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a new follower stopping by to say hello! And to confirm your Yellow-rumped Warbler. They are all over our back yard these days (DeBary FL). Cheers!

    ReplyDelete