Sunday, November 6, 2011

Hawk in the backyard


I knew something was going on when my cockatiels flew off their cage screaming. I peaked out the window and saw a hawk on my neighbor's fence. It's funny how the osprey flies up and sits on the sailboat mast and my birds look at him with indifference but when a hawk flies in front of the window they go crazy. Do they really know that the osprey only eats fish?  The hawk scared away all of the birds that were at my feeder so I went outside to scare away the hawk (with my camera in hand). The hawk did not want to leave. He let me get pretty close. I think this is a juvenile red shouldered hawk. We have a lot of adult red shoulders in the neighborhood.


As I was standing in my backyard waving my arms trying to shoo away the hawk, I see something flying towards me. It's a great blue heron. I think it had planned on landing on a dock in our corner but saw me standing there and kept on going.


This little guy was not scared off by the hawk. He let me stand under the tree and take his picture. I think this is a palm warbler.


A male house finch was also sitting in the tree.

5 comments:

  1. all are great photos, but the hawk is just gorgeous, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting about your birds' reaction to hawks and Osprey... Bird behavior never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It amazes me how birds are so protective. Your photos are beautiful. Sorry the babes got frightened. Sometimes it seems like there is just not enough room for all of them to be together at one time. Somehow they manage it...better than humans at times. genie

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter how many generations of a bird species have been raised in captivity, there probably always remains the primal instinct that recognizes predator species.

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete