Sunday, June 6, 2010

Birds at Sawgrass Lake Park

Roseate spoonbill scratching.


Spoonbill preening. He was busy getting ready for bed since the sun was about to go down.



Female anhinga posing on a branch.



Close by the female was this male anhinga.

Pileated woodpecker, the largest woodpecker, was high up in a tree. I heard the pounding sound and looked around and saw the flash of red.
One day last week I stopped by Sawgrass Lake Park after work. It was the first time I had been there when I didn't see a single alligator. There are tons of them that live at the park. They must have all been under water. A small boy walked up to me with his mom and said "Have you seen any alligators?" I hated to say no but I hadn't this visit. I did see several turtles though. There weren't a lot of birds as well. I walked the entire boardwalk and saw very little. As I was nearing the end of it I heard a pounding noise. I walked back a few feet and saw a flash of red high up in some dead trees. There were 2 woodpeckers! It was hard to get decent pictures. They kept hiding on the other side of the tree and the sun was so bright at the time. Then, as I was about to walk to my car I saw the above spoonbill preening on a stump. A spoony, 2 woodpeckers and a 2 mile walk made it a successful trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment