Saturday, May 21, 2011

Carillon Wetlands


Female anhinga panting in the heat. This one has pretty colors on her face.


My first brown thrasher. They're suppose to be fairly common but I haven't seen one before. It was getting dark and even with a flash I had a hard time getting this bird.


Alien duck!  (Baby moorhen)


Another alien duck in the shadows right before dark.


More alligator food.

There's a small wetlands park in the middle of an office park very near where I work. There are two small lakes, one is surrounded by office buildings and has a boardwalk around it. The other is surrounded by townhomes and has a walking path around it. I had heard there were bitterns there so I stopped by after work last week. I didn't find the bitterns but I found a few other things. Right before dark I found a moorhen with a baby. They are the funniest looking babies. Yes, both lakes have alligators so that rabbit better watch out!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome photos, Dina! I love the baby moorhen and the eyes on the brown thrasher are neat looking. Sounds like the wetlands are a great place for your birding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! okay, i'll try commenting again...

    we don't get to see thrashers here so i'm jealous. the rabbit is so interesting looking - such dark browns and no white? and that poor 'ugly duckling' moorhen baby! gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, my friends in Oldsmar have a small lake (or a large pond) nearby and it definitely has alligators in it. I'd think the "alien duck" baby moorhen might be in as much danger as the rabbit.
    Meanwhile, I am enjoying your photographs, especially if I can stop thinking about alligators.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROFL at alligator food. Love the little moorhen in dusk. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your photos - they capture such wonderful moments ---- they could win awards!!!

    Linda (aka Beachside Cottage)

    I have an Coastal Activism Page on my blog so I might feature some of your photos sometime and credit you (okay?)...

    Best Wishes!! (PS - I live in South Florida)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressed. Once again a great set of images.

    ReplyDelete