Saturday, March 19, 2011

More birds at the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary


Great blue heron nest high up in the shade trees at the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary.  This one sits right over the raptor's enclosure.


You can guess what happens next. Soon there should be some baby great blues.

Permanent resident scratching.


Juvenile night heron.


The three stooges. Baby pelicans finally walking around.

Still some baby pelicans being born. This one was sitting on two brand new babies (although they look like plucked chickens at first).


One of my favorite permanent residents with the torn beak pouch. I always see him when I visit.


Still some nest building going on so there will be more babies to come.

Spring is here at the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary. Between the wild birds coming to nest and the permanently injured birds already nesting there are lots of babies to see. A couple of weekends ago I stopped by there with my sister. She hadn't been there when all of the babies where there so it was a treat. There were a few pelican couples arguing over nesting spots so I think they will have more babies there in the next couple of  months. At the end of spring, the sanctuary will open the netting so all of the baby pelicans can fly away, although I think a handful will still hang around for free handouts. 

1 comment: