Monday, March 14, 2011

My first King Rail and other birds too.


My first king rail. This one has been in the same spot for a couple of weeks at the park, just look for the big group of photographers hanging around the corner of Heron Hideout and Marsh Rabbit Run.


Red bellied woodpecker looking at something interesting.


Blue-gray gnatcatcher looking up at the sky. Probably checking out a hawk.


One of the sandhill crane couples had laid an egg in a small nest in the middle of the marsh.  Hopefully, in the next week or two there will be a fuzzy brown baby running around.


Great egret flying along Lake Hancock.


This is why helium balloons should be outlawed. Some poor animal is going to choke on that. I would have grabbed it but I wasn't in the mood to step over the alligators.


One of the smaller ones at the park.

Another gorgeous weekend and another trip to Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland. These were taken a couple of weekends ago during one of the first nice warm weekends we had. People were disappointed that the white pelicans had left but there are still so many things to see there. I never did see the sora rail or virginia rail. Or the orange crowned warbler. The list goes on. You will always see lots of alligators there. I'm going back soon to check on the status of the sandhill crane egg.

Go and check out more MyWorld images at the MyWorld Site! http://showyourworld.blogspot.com/

Also, check out more bird pictures at





14 comments:

  1. What wonderful bird photos. I especially like the gnatcatcher and how lucky to spot the crane with egg. I hope you get to see the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent series of shots! The egret photo is amazing when enlarged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belle serie animaliere, amusant les ballons ;)

    Publicity ;o) Every Friday (and the Weekend), The Challenge "Walk In The Street Photography"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are ever so good.
    Can see your reluctance to remove the balloons :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos. I hope the Sandhill Crane is not too close to the alligator!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great collection of photos! The Crane and the egg and the beautiful Egret in flight are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing to find that crane with its egg. You are fortunate to have such a great birding spot close by, but then, that is one of the nice things about Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great images (love the egret flight shot) of some wonderful wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on capturing the KIng Rail in its watery habitat. Lovely selection of your sightings. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  10. KING rail is a super lifer--I have seen the Clapper rail and thats it--
    OH I cant wait to see some SH crane Chicks!!!
    ALL wonderful photos---

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cograts on the King rail! I'm glad you decided against picking up the ballons...yeah, you had me going!LOL My, your head must have been spinning with all these birds flapping around. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the King Rail! I can only dream of seeing a rail, any kind... Love the shots of the gray gnat catcher and the sandhill crane.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super seeing the King Rail Dina! That would be a lifer for me.

    Sandhill Cranes are what really excite me, being a certified craniac!

    I hope you get to see the chicks and post some photos for us!

    ReplyDelete