Sunday, March 6, 2011

Turtles and a wood duck


Getting a ride.


Lonely male wood duck.

 

Wood duck in the water.


Osprey nest at the football field.


On a recent Sunday afternoon I stopped by Kapok Park to see if I could find the great horned owls that have nested there for the last 3 years. No luck again. It's getting late in the season. I wonder what happened to the couple. There wasn't too much at the park at all. Lots of turtles. I did manage to find a lonely male wood duck. I've never seen one there before. He was hanging out with some mallards and moorhens.

On the way home, right before dark, I stopped at the community sports park near my house. There are baseball and football fields there.  You can see the nest platform that was put in the lights in the first osprey picture. There are several of those platforms in the ball park. This way the osprey don't build nests in the lights which I guess could be bad for lights. I'll stop by in the next couple of weeks to see if there are any baby osprey.

1 comment: