Saturday, March 5, 2011

Rainy day backyard birds


Hooded merganser in the backyard channel. Taken from the bedroom window.


I was trying to sneak out in the backyard but the hoodie was gone in a flash as I opened the door.


Female house finch sitting on my sad grapefruit tree in the rain.


Male house finch.


Female house finch.

Back in early February we had a rainy weekend. I was sitting on the couch watching tv when my husband says "I see a hoody in the channel."  I looked out the window and there he was. I took the first picture through the bedroom window. Since he was so close to our dock I wanted to try and sneak out and get a closer picture. No such luck. He was off like a flash.  As I was standing in the drizzle in the backyard watching the merganser fly away I saw some movement in the half dead grapefruit tree. I took a few pictures and realized I had not seen these birds before that I can remember. House finches are common but I don't ever remember seeing the red on top of the brown that the male had.  There were 3 different ones sitting in the tree.  See, being a couch potato on a rainy day can have rewards.





No comments:

Post a Comment