Saturday, June 25, 2011

Black neck stilt family








I found this family of black necked stilts in the ditches around the waste plant close to where I work. There were 2 parents and 2 babies walking around. I recently had been seeing the stilts there on my drive to lunch.  One day I brought my camera to work and stopped off along the ditches after work looking for the adults. I had taken pictures of them a couple of months ago and had wondered if they nested there but never imagined I would stumble upon babies. The babies seemed curious and wandered around away from the parents. I took a few pictures from my car and then got out. As soon as I opened the car door the parents started screaming and flew over to the babies. I ended up staying in the car and taking the pictures. I didn't want the parents flying off without the babies. I didn't stay long.  I was hungry anyway and it was time for dinner.

3 comments: