Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Limpkin family from far away


I found this limpkin preening on top of a small hill. It looked like he was sitting on an empty nest.


Limpkin mom (with her head stuck in the water) and 3 babies.


Mom hanging out with the kids.


One of the babies. They look almost full grown but still have a little fuzz on their heads.


Baby staying close to mom.

On a recent stop at Kapok Park after work, I saw a limpkin family from across the lake. I walked around the park for a while thinking the night was going to be a bust. All I had seen so far was moorhens (more on those later.) I walked further around the lake than I usually do and found a lone limpkin sitting on an empty nest. I was thinking that I must have missed out. As I walked back around the lake I noticed some movement in the reeds across the lake. Luckily, I had my 500mm lens with me, even though that didn't even get me close. It was also just starting to get dark when I found them so the light on these pictures where tough. The babies were almost grown but they were still pretty cute. They stayed close to mom.

6 comments:

  1. they're so CUTE!!! you get to see some great families!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stroke of luck, noticing the movement in the reeds. We don't have anything like Limpkins (great name, by the way) around here so it's such fun to see them through your lens.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding series of pictures. It is always fun to get pictures of families of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More great shots!! Dina. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shots of the Limpkin family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They little ones are so cute! Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete