Thursday, July 8, 2010

Baby snake on our front porch.




Brett & I got back from a long weekend trip this week and found the above in our screened-in front porch. He was very tiny. I figured it was a baby but wasn't sure what kind. We had a black racer living under our shed for about 2 years but he's been missing for over a year now. I tried to look up snakes but this one didn't look like anything I could find. I posted the picture on flickr and was told it was a baby black racer. I guess snakes are like some birds, they look nothing like their parents when they are little. With the red and grey markings, I thought it would have been a poisonous snake. Glad it's not. If he sticks around we'll have to name him. The black racers don't turn black until later and lose the pretty color they have as babies.

1 comment:

  1. I am so bad at snake identification. In many ways, they all look alike.

    ReplyDelete