Saturday, November 13, 2010

Great Blue Heron in my neighborhood






Last Saturday morning I was sitting on the couch and looked out the sliding glass doors. The above great blue heron was sitting on my neighbor's dock. I think this is the first time I've seen a great blue in our channel. Especially down in our corner. It was really windy outside and he must have been trying to get away from the open bay wind. I took all of the above pictures from the bedroom window. I was afraid that if I walked in the backyard it would have scared him off. I didn't want to disturb his morning. I figured eventually one of my neighbors would head outside and he would fly off.  He looked like he was trying to sleep for a while.  A little later he was in the grass then moved into the channel. It's getting to be that time of the year when the water is so low in the channel you can see the sand on the sides during low tide. Right before lunch the neighbor walked out on the dock and the heron flew away. I hope he (or she) comes back to visit.

1 comment: