Monday, November 29, 2010

Sights from Safety Harbor - My World Tuesday


A lost boat near the Safety Harbor fishing pier. It's anchor must have come lose and gotten grounded in low tide.

Pelican flying over the fishing pier.

Two great egret flying by.

This was taken at the end of the trail in Philippe Park on the Safety Harbor side. The eagle was sitting on the closest utility pole in the water. Last winter I saw the pair up there all winter and then some time in spring they were gone. This is the first time I've seen one there since last spring. Hopefully, the mate is close by. This was extremely cropped with my 500mm lens.

I had my camera in the car a couple of weekends ago and decided to stop by the Safety Harbor fishing pier on the way home from running errands. It was windy and there were hardly any fishermen there. There weren't any birds hanging around the pier but a few flew by and kept going somewhere. There were several manatees in the water but you could only see their snouts so I didn't take any pictures. I'm assuming they'll soon head over to the TECO plant to spend the winter in the warm run-off water. I also stopped at the tiny bridge at the end of Philippe Park to see if any eagles were around. Yea, there was one on top of the utility pole. I'll keep my eye out for the other one this winter.

Go and check out more MyWorld images at the MyWorld Site!  http://showyourworld.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

  1. Marvelous captures, Dina! And I do love your blue skies and sunlit water along with the beautiful birds! Great look at your world! Enjoy your week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel warmer just visiting your world, Dina! That egret photo is wonderful. My niece lives in Tampa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least the boat stayed in Safety Harbor.
    Love your bird shots too Dina.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  4. That listing boat really caught my eye. Nice shot!

    Kat
    http://inmydreamssfk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dina, I have really been enjoying my 'scroll' through your posts. So much so that I've added you to my followings. I look forward to keeping up with your blog, as well as taking a few minutes every once in awhile, to peruse your archived posts. I don't want to miss anything!! Have a great weekend. ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dina, I think the eagle you took a picture of is one of the pair that perch along those powerlines all the time. One of the powerlines is right outside my sliding glass doors. They were there everyday at the same time. On November 20th only one came. After a couple of days I got concerned and looked up their nesting habits since my husband said they had been mating every day for almost 2 weeks. Apparently once the eggs are laid, they take turns on the nest. It takes about 35 days for the eaglets to hatch and they continue to take turns on the nest while the other hunts. One of them continues to come every day, sometimes the male, sometimes the female. So I am hoping that in a couple of months they will bring their babies with them. Just thought you would like to know that the mate is probably very close by and OK.

    ReplyDelete