Saturday, July 16, 2011

Shorebirds at Fort Desoto


The usual oystercatcher at the north marsh.


Short billed dowitcher in non-breeding colors.


Marbled godwit hanging with some willets. They were all trying to nap.


Wilson's plover peeking at me.


The lovely couple arguing about something.


The north marsh had more than the usual amount of oystercatchers.

I don't know why there were so many oystercatchers hanging around the north beach marsh in late June. They should have been off nesting. Or at least walking around with their newborns. It was the end of June last year when the famous oystercatcher babies were found wandering around the same area with their parents. No such luck this year. I missed out on all of the plover babies this year. I had read that there were at least 2 that had been running around the area but I never could find them. It really was a needle in a haystack search. Anyway, another hot day at the beach. My life is so rough.

4 comments:

  1. all of them are such beauties! thanks for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the oystercatchers and all your shorebird photos. Just wonderful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many oystercatchers -- nice! I really like that plover peeking up at you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the shore birds you see!!

    ReplyDelete