Thursday, September 9, 2010

Skywatch Friday - Birds at Sand Key Park


A recent trip to Sand Key Park shows just how beautiful the beaches are in the Tampa Bay area. It was suppose to be rainy but hubby and I went anyway just to get out of the house and walk around. When we got there the sun came out and was beautiful most of the time we were there. The above laughing gulls were sitting on a ridge in the sand that really showed off the blue sky and water.



For more skyscape photography from around the world, visit http://skyley.blogspot.com/.




Laughing gull had an itch.


Osprey was flying high overhead.

Gull in flight.

Great blue heron was hiding in trees by the big bridge. I think I woke him up. He was a little wind blown.


Willet was coughing up something. Probably a piece of fish.


There's always a lot of snowy egrets hanging around the fishing piers at Sand Key.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, what wonderful bird pictures. You have such an assortment of feather friends in your neighbourhood. We are on the western migration flyway and are just beginning to see and here lots of new birds. Alas, I do not have the camera to get the fine photos you have captured. Thanks for sharing.
    Smiles
    (P.S. if this is a double post I apologize, I was a little too fast the first time and am not quite sure what happened!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all the years I've lived here I've never been to Sand Key! Love the itchy gull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that beautiful blue sky against that white sand! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the yellow talons of the snowy egret wrapped around the fence. The laughing gulls were probably having a good laugh that the weather forecasts were wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most beautiful bird photos! I LOVE the itchy head shot! :)


    Good Birding!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad used to wake me up and say that I must have had a rat sleeping in my hair. I think the same thing goes for the heron.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful assortment of birds, and you photograph them well. Very enjoyable.
    Kay
    Alberta, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dina,

    Would you be intereted in the fact that the Pinellas County Commissioners want to put a zip line within 20 acres of the walking trails area of the park? If so, there is a meeting on Sand Key on April 4 at 7pm at the Sailing Center to voice your, hopefully, negative opinion. Such an amusement would be detrimental to the birds and the natural habitat in Sand Key Park.
    terry on Sand Key

    ReplyDelete