Tuesday, September 7, 2010

So many birds on the causeway.


Willet taking a stroll on the causeway.


Lone oystercatcher hanging out with a few laughing gull friends.


Dowitchers trying to sleep. It was getting dark.



There have been lots of plovers around lately.
Last week I stopped off on the Courtney Campbell Causeway on the way home from work to see what kind of birds are around. Pinellasbirds.com has been reporting lots of shorebirds moving through the area. There were a handful of shorebirds along the causeway but not tons that had been there the week before. We're very fortunate in our little section of the gulf. I've been following Drew Wheelan's blog, http://birding.typepad.com/gulf/ about the Gulf Coast Oil Crisis and I wish there was some way we could direct all of the migrating birds here. I guess they wouldn't be able to read big signs that say "All birds fly east to Tampa". It makes it even more important that we protect the ones that visit or live here.
As usual, there was an osprey hanging out on a lamppost. It was starting to sprinkle as I was leaving so I quickly stopped my car on the access road and took this picture out the window.


5 comments:

  1. Great shots! Beautiful birds! That osprey looks like he means business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW...just read your wish list. Come over to the East side along the Treasure Coast...there's an abundance of kildeer, burrowing owls, red-headed woodpeckers and screech owls.
    I was so upset that I didn't have my camera with me this weekend on a quick trip to the store. I spotted a beautiful, mature bald eagle! He was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice series of shots. Especially like the third one. Combination of the sleeping birds in the foreground and slightly out of focus ones behind works well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The osprey photo is amazing. What a gorgeous creature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful bird photographs.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete