Sunday, January 16, 2011

Limpkins eating at Kapok Park






I seem to be lucking out on the limpkin mealtimes. I feel like I've seen more limpkins in the last month than I have in the last 2 years. There were a handful at Lettuce Lake right before Christmas. There were at least 6 at Kapok Park and on a recent trip to Circle B they were everywhere. Was this past spring a banner year for limpkin babies? I have never seen one. Limpkins eat apple snails and freshwater mussels. They will also eat insects, worms and frogs if their main diet is scarce. There was a group of white ibis hanging around the limpkins. I think they were hoping the limpkins would drop something but they never did. I'm going to be on the lookout  for limpkin babies this spring

1 comment:

  1. kapok and lettuce are two parks i have not visited yet, i should put them on my bucket list for photo shoots!

    ReplyDelete