Thursday, December 9, 2010

Celery Field variety of birds - Skywatch Friday



I parked along side of the road at the celery fields in Sarasota and the above was circling overhead.  Having a "turkey" vulture circle around you is almost like celebrating Thanksgiving. I don't think turkey vultures get the credit they deserve for being "cool" birds. They look great when they are flying high up in the sky. They look creepy when there's a group of them hanging out on the side of the road.  I did have a good visit to the celery fields the week of Thanksgiving and I'm going to try and get back before Christmas.

For more skyscape photography from around the world, visit http://skyley.blogspot.com/.




This red shouldered hawk couple sat on the light fixture the entire time I was there.


Any id on this would be great. At first I thought it was a palm warbler which are common here but there's no hint of yellow.  Could it be a hermit thrush? That's the closest I could find on Whatbird.com.

Flock of anhingas flying by.

Grackle can't read.


The above is a yellowlegs. Not sure if it's a greater or lesser. They look alike.

I finally see a kildeer and didn't even know it. The sun was going down and I wanted to get a picture of the shorebirds sleeping. I didn't see the kildeer in the upper left corner until later when I uploaded the pictures. The picture is extremely cropped. I can't believe that little bird snuck into my picture and didn't let me know he was there. There was a small flock of shorebirds together and he must have been hiding in them.

8 comments:

  1. I think I have to go there sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps a song sparrow, Dina? Love the Turkey Vulture! There are a couple that freguent the skies above my daughter's neighborhood. When they are close enough to snap a picture of, I don't have my camera in hand! Doesn't that figure? ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful captures Dina.
    have a great evening.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the turkey vulture shot! I called them Majestic Janitors in a blog post a couple of months ago. They are misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos I especially like the vulture one and I agree, it's cool

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the hawks. The turkey vultures...not so much. We have them here as well. Have a wonderful week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that yellowlegs fellow -- too cute. And, the shot of the grackle is perfect. I'd like to get back there soon too. If you're interested, drop me an email via my profile page and let me know when you're going to be out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not great at IDs yet, but could it be a pipit? The pictures that I found online make the head look too small on your bird to be an American Pipit, but my guidebooks and my experience with pipits make me think he's one. He looks more like a Sprague's Pipit, which is listed in Wikipedia as being a FL bird, but not in other sources.

    ReplyDelete