Thursday, December 23, 2010

Visit to Circle B Bar Reserve - Skywatch Friday


Great blue heron with a small snake. He eventually gulped it down.


Black bellied whistling ducks flying by.


One of the resident glossy ibis.


Another blue-gray gnatcatcher. These guys are everywhere this fall.

Cattle egret on the trail. He seems lost. He should be hanging out in the cow pastures that are close by.


Not sure what this little bird is.  It looks like it's got some yellow under the tail.


The infamous "Bubba" that lives at Circle B.

The first Saturday in December turned out to be nice and warm, high of 70 degrees by 10am. I started out with a sweatshirt on but soon had just the tshirt on. I hadn't been in a while. The white pelicans hadn't arrived yet so that was a disappointment. I've heard they are there now so I'll have to head back there in the next week or so. Last December it was amazing to see the large flocks of white pelicans flying back and forth between the marsh ponds and the big lake.

I spent most of the morning walking the trails with Klaus (http://virtua-gallery.com/wp/) who has this amazing ability to see every tiny animal that is hiding. He spotted the otters but we weren't able to get a good picture from where they were hiding. We did not find the bittern he was looking for but he showed me where it had been before so I'll keep my eye out for it on the next trip.

For more skyscape photography from around the world, visit http://skyley.blogspot.com/.

1 comment:

  1. I love your bird watching photos and the backstory of each one. I hope they stay away from Bubba though. Happy Sky Watch and holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete