Thursday, December 30, 2010

Eagles in St. Petersburg - Skywatch Friday



What da ya want? I'm scratchin!


She says "It's about time you got home." He says "Stop nagging."


"Let's kiss and makeup."

King on his throne.

Hopefully, she's counting her eggs.


Going fishing.

Last spring I had heard about an eagle couple that was living in a cemetery in St. Petersburg. I never did make it down there but when I heard they were back this winter I had to go and see them. It's an older cemetery but nicely kept. I think the old tree he was sitting on was the only one in the place so you couldn't miss it. I'm guessing they don't want to cut it down so the eagles have a place to hang out. The nest is nearby in a large pine tree. I took all of the above with my Sigma 500mm and they were cropped up so they are not as close as they look.  It's a strange place to find eagles but there are bays and inlets close by for fish. I'm going to check back in a month or so to see if there are babies.

For more skyscape photography from around the world, visit http://skyley.blogspot.com/

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful photographs. Thanks for sharing and have a great New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!
    Happy New Year, Dina!
    Cheers, Klaus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, such majestic birds! How lucky you are to be able to photograph them, and you're doing it so well. Great captions too.
    Happy new year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic collection of photos, nature at play can be tricky you are lucky to get up close to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW !!!! Great Photo's of the Eagles...always been a dream of mine to photograph my Brothers..I may just have to travel down to Fla. to get some shots.
    Great photography...Have a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really AWESOME shots!

    Happy SWF & Happy Happy New Year! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great to have a pair of eagles to visit!!Good commentary too, thanks! Think I'll follow along...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always so tickled with myself when I have an eagle encounter. I'm here to tell ya' that none of my pictures are as cool as these!! Well done! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome shots of the eagles! The are cool birds to see. Great sightings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant captures of the eagles. Thanks so much for sharing, and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beauties in the skies.
    Happy New Year to You.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  12. What zoom lens are you using? Talk about getting up close to eagles. My husband and I see eagles a lot up in Wisconsin when we are fishing. My lens makes them look like a dot in the sky. tee hee Nice job!
    Happy New Year!
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not much of a birder, but I'm always amazed at Bald Eagles. I don't if it's because of their attachment to patriotism (and thus religion).

    ReplyDelete