Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Hanging with the hoodies.







My hubby came home from the gym one Saturday afternoon recently and said "There are hoodies down at the pond. Bring your camera and let's run down there and get some pictures." Usually, there are only a few mallards there. So off we went, to the small pond down the street.  We found two hooded merganser couples hanging out there. It was an overcast day and the reflection of the trees on the pond made the pond seem red and green.

Hooded mergansers are short distance migratory ducks. They are probably coming from somewhere in New England and hang out in Florida during the winter. They are diving ducks which dive under water to catch their food. They won't hang around to be fed like mallards so they are usually pretty skittish. I sat on the edge of the pond for about half an hour and watched them swim around and preen. There was a couple in the channel behind our house for about two weeks but I haven't seen them recently. I wonder if one of these were the same couple.

The below is a moorhen couple that was hanging out with the hoodies as well.

2 comments:

  1. And now I know where my hoodies got too :)

    Here in Pa they arrive late march/early april with some staying to nest.

    Beautiful shots! I did see some hoodies around Plant City during my short visit but did not get a chance to photograph them.

    Thanks for you comment at Country Captures. We stayed in Saint Cloud, lots of Sandhills around there.

    ReplyDelete