Sunday, April 17, 2011

Burrowing Owls at Brian Piccolo Park







I don't think I've seen anything so cute. These little owls stole my heart on a recent Saturday morning. I was in Ft. Lauderdale with hubby visiting relatives for a long weekend. We stayed at a different hotel than we usually do and it just happened to be down the street from Brian Piccolo Park. I had heard there were burrowing owls there and I've never seen them out in the wild. The park does not open until 8am so I didn't have to get there too early. I was the 2nd car in line to get in. It's not a nature park but a sports complex. I drove past soccer fields and baseball fields to the back and across from the skate park I saw the first nest.  They are pretty easy to find since they are marked with four stakes and yellow tape around each one. I was so excited to see owls sitting there. I took about a million pictures right away. After I finally took a deep breath and started looking around I realized there are tons of nest everywhere. They are just off of the parking lots in the dirt, all along the baseball fields and along the back of the park. They stayed pretty close to their roped off area.

Their facial expressions were amazing. I could have sat there all day and watched them. I stopped at a few different nest but eventually I had to head back to the hotel to get ready to spend the rest of the day with the relatives (all in-laws of course).  The two hours went by fast! I'll be stopping by there again next year. 

9 comments:

  1. They are adorable owls. I have never seen them in person, but would love to someday. Thanks for sharing, they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots,especially the last of the series. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are fantastic shots! wow! so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phenomenal series Dina. I imagine you took a thousand shots. I didn't realise these owls nested so close to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dina, I have been meaning to tell you how much I enjoy your posts! I look forward to seeing your post everyday. Recently, i was in Turkey and I was thinking that I could take pictures of some local birds and send them to you to post. However, that plan didn't work. I enjoy birding through your post, thank you so much for your great contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful captures. The first guy looks like he was just waking up. I really like the one next to the daisies. Burrowing owls must like baseball fields. Last year, I discovered a nest next to a ball diamond in Ft. Myers. It was cordoned off, just like you described.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They definitely have stolen my heart too,and reminded me of a character in "Legend Of The Guardians, The Owls Of Ga hoole"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These guys are such characters! Really fantastic shots!

    ReplyDelete