Saturday, April 23, 2011

Sad eagle news in Pinellas county. But all is not lost.

Eagle followers in Pinellas county received bad news earlier this week. The baby eaglet from Tierre Verde, just outside of Fort Desoto Park, died on Monday. It had been flying for several weeks now. Florida Fish and Wildlife have taken the eaglet and will perform test to see if they can determine what happened. I've always read 40% of baby eagles don't survive but it's still so sad. Someone from the St. Petersburg Audubon posted on facebook that out of the 48 baby eagles that were born in Pinellas county this spring, this is the 2nd one that has died. I didn't hear what happened to the first one. I guess the county is beating the statistics so far. Here is my post of the pictures I had taken when the baby was still on the nest - Fort Desoto eagle post.

Below are pictures of the baby eagles at the St. Petersburg cemetery taken a few weeks ago. Both babies are just starting to flap their wings. By now they are probably flying from tree to tree. We're all holding our breath these eagles make it.










6 comments:

  1. Very sad really,but these birds are luckier than most wild animals that your community is so devoted to their well being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to think that something so large and feathered out is still so vulnerable... they're amazing - as are your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had a pair of bald eagles visiting my neighborhood regularly and this last week they have a youngster with them at times. They seem to be coming from the south and I am wondering where there nest may be. I know of the nest on Honeymoon but assume these are not from there as I am 5.5 miles from there. Any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fred, there's an eagle's nest somewhere in Dunedin but I don't know where. It's on private land. There were also 2 nest just north of Tarpon Springs. They can cruise around up to 10 miles back and forth. I know both babies at Honeymoon Island fledged so it could be one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dina. I was thinking they were not from Honeymoon since most of the flight patterns that I have seen from all three of them are to/from the south. I am watching one now in the distance but they have been landing in an oak tree two houses away from me. Been great for pictures, just wish I had a better camera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found the nest, about 1/3 mile from my house so no wonder I have been seeing them so frequently. West of Keene off of Virginia.

    ReplyDelete