Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lakeland's Beautiful Mascot - the mute swan.




I had to post some pictures of the beautiful mute swans that swim around Lake Morton in Lakeland.  You have to wonder where all of these swans came from since this is central Florida. I looked it up and you can read about it here History of swans in Lakeland.  They say there are over 200 swans there now since 1954. There are nesting pens set up around the lake so that only the swans can get in from the water. A few swans were sitting on nests when I was there a couple of weeks ago. I'd like to go back in another month or so to look for baby swans. If you stop by there, just watch where you step. There's a lot of swan poop in the grass along the way (and duck, geese, etc poop as well).

11 comments:

  1. A beautiful mascot of the lakeland.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  2. It baffles me how you manage the exposures of these photos so perfectly,with light reflecting from water and the subject being white,the kind of set up that I find rather difficult. Could you give me a tip or two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. they're just beautiful! those full feathers curving around their body!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic shots. I have got to find one of these great birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with Amila - I take hundreds of pics of the swans and none turn quite as clear and detailed as this. Beautiful beings, aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful feather detail in your photos! Wonderful photography!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! These were taken late in the day so the sun wasn't too harsh. I think I under-exposed them so the white wouldn't blow out but I did lighten them up a little when I edited them. The swans at the lake love to pose and show off so that made it easy as well.

    Dina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delightfully beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are such beautiful birds -- really wonderful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How very beautiful, Dina!! You captured some perfect poses!! I esp. like the second picture. Well done. ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos! That is an incredible bird.

    ReplyDelete