Sunday, April 10, 2011

Little birds at Chesnut Park


Pied grebe looking back at me.


Male cardinal in the tree.


Female cardinal eating something on the ground.


Gray catbird. I've been seeing these everywhere lately.


Cutest tufted titmouse.


Another titmouse.

Lots of little birds at Chesnut Park recently. I didn't see any rare migrants. Only the usual above. I walked along the boardwalk at the boat ramp and hardly saw anything. Nothing but coots and moorhens in the water. Then I hit the nature trail. I found all of the above on the nature trail.  Later I stopped by the picnic area to walk along the water to see if there were any water birds around. When I headed toward the lake I walked into a wall of gnats. At first I panicked because I thought they were mosquitoes which seemed to just be coming out. When I realized they weren't biting I thought "Okay, annoying but at least no bites." Boy, where they annoying. I was covered in them within minutes. I had to cover my nose and mouth to breath. I decided it wasn't worth it and left. I still got in a two hour walk but was hoping for three. I went home instead and did much needed chores.

4 comments:

  1. I love the pied-billed grebe. We have one (or two) that have wintered with us the past 2 years. He/she leaves for northern areas for the summer, so I hope he/she will return again. They're the CUTEST things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to see these wonderful birds sometime..Beautifully photographed, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete