Monday, April 18, 2011

Sandhill Crane Family at Circle B Bar Reserve



"Look mom, I can touch my tummy!"


"Am I a boy or a girl?"


"Wait for me!"


"Yuck, I'm not eating that bug!"


"Ignore the big bird behind me."

"Thanks for the snack, Mom."


"I hate getting wet."

Another serious "too cute" moment, but sad as well. Back in mid-February, I was able to get shots of the sandhill crane on a nest with eggs in the middle of the marsh. A couple of weeks ago I had read that the babies had hatched and were moving around the park with the parents. I saw several pictures of 2 babies posted on flickr but by the time I was able to get out to the park one of the babies was gone. No one knows what happened. Could have been an alligator or bobcat.  I found the family wandering around Heron Hideout trail (along with a long line of photographers). I took my place along the side of the trail and started snapping pictures. The parents stayed really close to the baby and kept feeding it. It was mesmerising to sit and watch the family walk around. They didn't seem to mind the large group watching them since everyone stayed pretty far away and didn't crowd them. After a while the family moved closer to the closed Rabbit Marsh trail and I headed back to my car.

Go and check out more MyWorld images at the MyWorld Site  http://showyourworld.blogspot.com/

Check out more birds at CLICK THIS PICTURE!

22 comments:

  1. oh i hope this little long-legged one makes it! such a precarious little thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great close ups!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome shots! Such a little cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are excellent photos. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent series Dina. A tough start to life when you have to protect yourself from all the possible predators looking for a quick snack. Hope the little one has luck on its side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely adorable. Awesome series of images!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings from Southern California

    I am your newest follower. I invite you to visit my blog and become a follower.

    God bless you and have a nice Easter :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing series! The chick looks so cute on the top shots. Love your header too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A brilliant series of images of the chick. It really was an Ahhhh moment seeing them. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gangly yet cute chick.No wonder the parents stayed close, I bet you have heard the saying 'like a chicken with only one chick'.
    Absolutely wonderful captures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this privileged look into the the secret life of the Sandhill crane. I could not imagine seeing anything quite so endearing and so spectacularly photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos of the very cute chick. What a great photo opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a delightful series of photos! I hope that little one makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Outstanding! What a joy and a privilege to see.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very touching, and what a marvelous opportunity! Well done.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic shots, the baby crane is just adorable. What a great sighting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pictures of the beloved sandhill cranes. Fantastic close-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a terrific journal of this little one's first days on our lovely Planet--WOW such great photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable,lovely,sweet..dah,words can't explain these!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice shots, and indeed a funny texting you've added to each picture : )

    ReplyDelete