Saturday, December 31, 2011

Hoodies down the street






On my way home, I pass a small pond that leads into an office complex. Mallards are usually the only ducks I see swimming in it. Recently, I was riding in the car with hubby and looked over at the pond as we drove by it and saw hooded mergansers swimming in it. Of course, I yell out "There are hoodies in the pond." A couple of minutes later we were home and I grabbed my camera and drove back to pond. Since it was a Sunday afternoon there was no one around so I parked in the office lot along the side of the road against the pond. I rolled down the window and took all of the above from the car. Even though I stayed in the car, they still kept their eyes on me and stayed on the other side of the pond. At one point the male started diving underneath and came up with a berry of some sort. As I was leaving, I noticed the below tricolored heron was over on the side of the pond in the reeds. He must have been thinking "What is that crazy lady doing in her car?"

5 comments:

  1. Cool reflections and great birds. Wonderful photos, Dina! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! these are GREAT shots!!! i am so envious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool- never seen a merganser with anything besides a fish in its mouth!

    ReplyDelete